Student Area

Frequently Asked Questions

Moving In

During Your Stay

Moving Out

Do I have to be full time or part time student to apply?

Yes. You must be a full-time tertiary student (some buildings may accept part-time students).

Is it necessary to be the student from one of the listed universities?

No. However we cannot accept a Tenancy Application without a current Student Card, University Letter of Offer or Certificate of Enrollment.

How do I apply for an apartment with Student Housing Australia?

Complete the online Tenancy Application and upload all the required documentation (eg: copy of Passport, Drivers License, Student ID etc).

Once we have received your complete Tenancy Application we process the documents you have provided and seek the Landlord’s approval. We will then contact you within 48 hours, by email to confirm your application and the terms of the Tenancy Agreement / Lease/ Contract. Then you will be required to sign the Lease and pay the first month's rental and security Bond within 48 hours to secure the property.

Delays are often caused by students not completing the Application form in full or not providing all the necessary documentation.

Do I need to complete a Parental Guarantee?

Yes, our Application form includes a Parental Guarantee download and this should be completed by your parents, regardless of your age or where your parents live.

Do I need a current Student Card or Letter of Offer to apply for a property?

Yes. As you must be a full-time tertiary student (some buildings may accept part-time students).

We cannot accept a Tenancy Application without a current Student Card, University Letter of Offer or Certificate of Enrollment.

How long is the Lease / contract with Student Housing Australia?

The standard Tenancy Agreement/contract is for a fixed-term tenancy. All contracts end in January/February each year.

What does my rent include?

This differs within each building. Please see the Building advertisement for all relevant information.

Why is the rent not 4 times the weekly rental amount?

Rental is paid per calendar month on the same day - not every four weeks.

To calculate the monthly rental:
The weekly rental rate is divided by 7 (days in a week) to get the daily rate, then multiplied by 365 (days in year) then divided by 12 (months) to give monthly rental amount.

What is the Bond?

A Bond (also known as a security deposit) is the amount of money you pay at the commencement of your tenancy and is held in trust by the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA) for the duration of your tenancy.

It is usually equal to one month's rent. (it can be up to six weeks if the rent is over $350 per week)

The Owner of the property may claim part of, or the full Bond only when the tenancy ends and it is agreed by both parties.

The Bond can be used by the apartment Owner as compensation, if you do not meet the terms and conditions of your tenancy agreement. Examples of this include: if you leave the property dirty, cause damage or leave owing rent.

What are the payment options for students?

The first month's rent and Bond can be paid via Direct Debit from your Australian bank account or via Credit Card.

We will also accept a Bank Cheque, Australia Post Order or Bank Draft.

Your monthly rent is best paid via Direct Debt or BPay from your Australian bank account or via Credit Card. Please note charges apply.

We do not accept cash payments in the office.

Can I move in before my contract / lease starts?

No. You can only collect keys and move into an apartment on the day your legal agreement/lease/contract starts.

Can you arrange airport pick up service?

Sorry, but we are not able to provide airport pick up. You will need to arrange your own transfer. Melbourne Airport has many options with, Bus, taxi, and Uber all available.

What time can I arrive?

Once you have been approved for an apartment and you have returned the signed Agreement /lease and made payment of the first month's rent and bond, you will need to contact our Property Manager to book an appointment, to meet in our office during business hours to collect keys, on the date your lease starts.

You cannot collect keys without an appointment in our office.

What do I need to buy or bring when I move in?

Your apartment is furnished with a bed, desk and study chair, microwave and fridge.

You will need to supply your own towels, bed sheets, pillow, doona / blankets and personal toiletries, as well as your own kitchen equipment (only some buildings include crockery and cutlery plus kitchen utensils).

Can I bring my own electrical items? i.e. rice cooker or hair dryer

We do not recommend students bring any electrical items from overseas for health and safety reasons.

They are often not compatible with our power outlets and can cause power outages.

What is the difference between a SHA rental apartment and a hotel room?

We are not a Hotel business and we do not offer rooms charged on a nightly rate with room service.

SHA is a Real Estate business providing Leasing and Management services of rental apartments. Our clients are Landlords and Tenants. Our apartments are rented out as a home for 12 months, under a legally binding contract / lease with set terms and conditions.

When do I pay my rent?

Your rent is due on the same day every month, starting from the date your Agreement / lease / contract commences.

If your lease starts on 15th January, your rent is due on or before the 15th of every month.

If you are paying by direct debit, you should always make your payment a few days earlier to allow time for bank transfers.

Who cleans the apartment and communal area?

Tenants are responsible for cleaning their own apartments.

If an apartment is shared by 2 or 3 people, the communal kitchen, living room and bathroom must be cleaned by all the tenants named in the tenancy.

All communal areas (eg: entrance, hallways and communal living areas) are regularly cleaned by the site cleaner.

What is a Condition Report?

When you pay a Security Bond, it is a requirement that an ingoing ‘Condition Report’ is prepared and completed.

The Condition Report records the general condition of the property at the commencement of the tenancy, including a list of the fittings and fixtures, furniture and inventory provided. You will be given two paper copies of this Report when you collect your keys.

You are required to check the apartment, add your comments and amendments to the Condition Report and return it to our office within three business days of moving in. The second copy is for your records.

We also recommend you forward photographs of any issues or damages to go with your report.

The Condition Report is used for the Final Bond Inspection at the end of your tenancy, once you have vacated and returned keys.

You must leave the property in the same condition as it was, when you moved in and as is recorded in the Condition Report. The Condition Report can be used as evidence if there is a dispute over cleaning, damages, or replacement of missing items.

If you need anything repaired in your apartment you must notify the Property Manager separately, by completing and sending a Maintenance Request Form.

Can I smoke in the accommodation?

Smoking is strictly not allowed inside the apartment or communal areas of the building.

How secure is the accommodation?

At Student Housing Australia, we want you to feel safe and secure at all times.

We understand how important this is to students when it comes to choosing a place to live. That's why we've ensured that we provide the best services possible, so our students can thoroughly enjoy living with us.

We have 24 Hour CCTV Cameras installed in most of our buildings and secure Key/Fob Door Entry and registered key systems. Our After Hours phone numbers are available to support the building community if you have any issue.

Is there always a member of SHA staff available?

Our Property Management office hours are Monday to Friday between 9:00am – 5:30pm.

There is also an After Hours emergency contact available for maintenance issues when you contact our normal office number.

Can my Parents stay with me?

Parents can stay with their children for no longer than two weeks at any one time during their visit

How do I connect the internet?

Most buildings have SuperLoop Wifi available at an extra cost.

We will assist you to arrange connection upon your arrival.

You are also free to choose an alternative internet provider.

Noisy Neighbour?

If you have a neighbour making excess noise please contact your property manager.

Do you have car parking facilities?

Some buildings have a limited supply of car parking spaces available for rent on a separate lease/ contract to the apartment agreement. Please see each Building webpage for more details.

How does my mail get to me?

You will need to direct your mail to:

Your Name
Apartment # / Street Address,
Suburb, VIC, Australia, (post code #)

What do I do if I have a visitor?

As all our buildings are secure, all residents are required to meet their guests at the entrance door, as this door is only accessible with a resident swipe card.

Some buildings will have an intercom system, so a guest can buzz the apartment to gain entry.

If I really want to move out or change apartments – is it possible?

Once you have signed a Tenancy Agreement/ Lease for an apartment and paid both the first month's rent and the security Bond, you have entered a legally binding contract.

You can not change your apartment until your Lease End Date or you will be breaking your Lease /Contract.

In breaking your lease the property must be re-let to a new tenant and you will be charged costs for this service.

You cannot just have a friend move in and take over your lease as this is illegal (subletting is against the law if you do not have permission from the landlord).

You must contact your Property Manager to discuss your situation and they will help you find a solution.

Is there extra storage outside my apartment?

Due to a lack of space, there are no extra storage facilities available in the apartment or building.

I am vacating. Can I use the Bond for my last month's rent?

No. Your Bond and rent are separate payments.

You may be fined for treating any part of the Bond as rent.

What happens when I vacate?

Once you confirm you are leaving your apartment in writing to our office, we will give you a checklist to prepare and finalise the property before you return the keys.

You must pay rent up to your final date and to leave your apartment thoroughly clean and tidy, plus ensure all personal items and rubbish have been removed. If there is carpet in the apartment it must be professionally cleaned.

It is important to return the apartment to us in the same good clean condition as it was, when you first moved in. This allows for a speedy Bond refund.

We can give you the contact details of our preferred cleaning contractors to use for the vacating clean, at your expense.

You should also report any breakages or damages that may have been caused to the property or inventory during your tenancy.

You must make an appointment with your Property Manager to hand over keys, so they can do the Final Inspection at your apartment, during business hours on your final day.

You will be given the Bond Claim form at this time to sign off on the agreed (full or part) refund amount.

How do I disconnect the Internet and Utilties?

One month before moving out of your apartment, you will need to notify your utility providers (eg: Internet, electricity and water suppliers) in writing, by phone or via e-mail that you wish to terminate their services.

They will then arrange final readings and send you the final bill for final payment.

How do I receive my Bond back?

At the end of the tenancy, we will need the keys back to do a Final Inspection and provide you with a “Bond Claim” form for completion.

You will need to give us your forwarding address and Australian bank account details, sign and return the form to our office.

Your agreed refund will be processed by the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority within two weeks, after you have returned keys and completed the Bond Claim form.

You must make sure the signature on the Bond Claim form matches your original signature as it was scanned when your Bond was first lodged, or they will reject the form.

Why are you claiming my Bond?

The Owner is entitled to compensation if you have failed any terms or conditions in your Tenancy Agreement or breached the Residential Tenancies Act (Victorian State Government Law covering rental issues). Please note that the Owner cannot claim for wear and tear of items or fittings in the apartment.
At Student Housing Australia, the vast majority of claims against the Bond are for cleaning, repair of damages or replacement of inventory. These sorts of issues are usually resolved by agreement between the Owner and the tenant. If you and the owner do not reach an agreement, the Owner may apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for a Hearing in front of a Member with will decide on the issue and resolution.

What is a Notice to Vacate?

A formal Notice to Vacate (NTV) is given to all our tenants.

Every tenant receives a "Notice to Vacate - at the end of the fixed term tenancy, with the initial Tenancy Agreement/ Lease. This means that all tenants must vacate on the last day of their lease.

If a tenant does not wish to leave, they can opt to sign another lease (renewal agreement) for another fixed term of 12 months (or sometimes 6 months).

Tenancy Application Forms

If you would prefer not to fill in our online application you can download a paper version here.

To reside in any of our accommodation, you must be a student with a current letter of offer or current student ID card and provide the following:

  1. Copy of your passport (International Students) or drivers licence
  2. Current Letter of Offer from your University or Education Provider
  3. Current bank statement or proof of income

Please forward these items together with the completed application form which is below.

Please ensure that you select the application form which has the building that you are applying for at the top of the form.

Burwood Application covers properties located in:

  • Box Hill
  • Burwood
  • Camberwell
  • Hawthorn

Caulfield Application covers properties located in:

  • Malvern East/Caulfield
  • Moorabbin
  • Prahran
  • South Yarra
  • Noble Park
  • Clayton

City Application covers properties located in:

  • Melbourne
  • North Melbourne
  • Carlton
  • Footscray
  • Collingwood
  • Macleod/Bundoora

Melbourne City

Melbourne Caulfield

Melbourne Burwood

Once Complete this can be emailed to

Useful Videos

Finding student rental accommodation

Moving In

During the tenancy: Maintenance

During the tenancy: Keys and Lockout Procedures